It’s almost that time again.
Summer break is rapidly coming to a close.
Your agenda for the final days of this summer vacation will be jam-packed with shopping trips for clothes and school supplies.
You’re excited for your kids (and maybe a little bit for yourself) and want to recognize and celebrate the start of a new school year with them.
A simple end-of-summer or back-to-school family party that honors your children as students will make them feel special and help them look forward to the first day of school.
This student-focused August tablescape features a yellow, red, black, and white color scheme with simple potted yellow marigolds decorated with personalized Happy First Day greeting tags.
These DIY pencil gift tags are perfect for a teacher’s gift. This same pencil design can be used for a fun DIY bookmark craft project for children (8+ years) for their upcoming school year.
The tags and bookmarks are easy to make with some office labels that you pick up during one of your school supplies trips!
To make a pencil gift tag, you’ll need:
- Self-adhesive neon office labels (1″ x 2 3/4 “)
- Black marker (Sharpie)
- Heavy yellow paper (cut 4 1/2″ x 1 1/2″)
- Optional curling ribbon for the bow
- Hole punch
- Two 9″ strips of curling ribbon or yarn to match
To make the pencil sticker:
Quick Vocabulary Lesson:
The metal band that attaches the eraser to the pencil body is called a “ferrule“.
(Pronounced like “feral”, as in the cats who have no home, but spelled differently.)
2. Cut 3/4″ of the short end of a pink sticker for the eraser piece. Draw around the top and two sides.
To make a plant gift tag:
Add the assembled pencil sticker centered onto the heavy 4 1/2″ x 1 1/2″ yellow paper. Affix the tag to a pencil or other stick to insert into a potted plant. Tie a bow with ribbon above the tag on the stick.
To make a bookmark:
1. With a hole punch, make one hole approximately 1/4″ from the outside short edge of the heavy 4 1/2″ x 1 1/2″ yellow paper.
2. Cut two pieces of curling ribbon or yarn. Holding both pieces of ribbon together, fold in half lengthwise and feed the folded part of the ribbons partway through the hole. Insert the cut ends of the ribbons through the loop made by the fold and pull through to secure the ribbons at one edge of the bookmark.
3. Add the assembled pencil sticker (from instructions above) centered on the bookmark.
Plan a little celebration or recognition of the start of the school year to make your children feel special and help boost their confidence with returning to school. Here’s your chance to let them know how proud you are of their progress and enjoy the opportunity to talk with them about their goals for this upcoming year.
Enjoy your Happy First Day of School party with your children this month, and your celebratory pumpkin latte with your adult friends once school is finally in session!
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.