These DIY patriotic outdoor pillows will add some star-spangled color to your outdoor spaces.
Ah, summertime! The season of backyard barbecues, pool parties, and outdoor gatherings with family and friends. But let’s be real here: have you ever looked at your outdoor space and thought, “It’s missing something?”
Maybe it’s time to spice things up a bit and add a patriotic touch with some outdoor patio pillows with a USA flag-inspired design that will make your space pop!
Making outdoor pillows may not be at the top of your to-do list. But with pre-made lumbar pillow covers, these patriotic outdoor pillows will work up in no time. They’ll add a festive touch to your space while demonstrating your patriotism and your crafting skills!
If you can sew a button, you can make these American flag pillows. Let’s get started!
Gather Supplies for Patriotic Outdoor Pillows
Supplies for Star-Spangled American Flag Pillows:
You only need a few supplies to make these American flag pillows.
Whether you’re making your own pillows from scratch, or buying pre-made pillow covers, you’ll need:
|Red, White & Blue Star-Shaped Buttons||White DMC Pearl Cotton Thread
Save steps with pre-made pillow covers. You’ll need:
|Set of 4 - Red & White Stripe Outdoor Pillows||Set of 4 - Outdoor Pillow Inserts
Tools you’ll need:
- Embroidery needle (larger eye for embroidery thread)
- Optional hot glue gun or fabric glue
Optionally, to DIY your own pillows from scratch, replace the pre-made pillow covers & inserts with the following materials and tools:
- Red & white striped fabric
- Pillow inserts (sized according to your finished pillow sizes)
- Optional invisible zippers
- All-purpose thread
- Sewing machine, ruler & pins
|Red & White Striped Fabric|
(Sold by the Yard)
How to Make American Flag Pillows With Buttons
[Printable instructions are available on our downloadable project sheet.]
1. If you know how to sew pillows from scratch, start making your pillow cover. Otherwise, skip to #3. Measure & cut your fabric pieces, leaving 1/2″ seam allowance around all sides. (For example, if your insert is 14″ x 19″, your fabric pieces should measure 15″ x 20″.)
2. With a sewing machine, optionally install an invisible zipper on the bottom seam. Finish assembling your pillow cover, leaving the bottom seam open or unzipped.
3. Lay your pillow cover on a flat surface. Insert a piece of cardboard inside the case to prevent accidentally gluing the front to the back on the next step.
4. Arrange the star-shaped buttons on the upper left quadrant of the pillowcase to represent the US flag’s blue field and stars (aka Union). Once you’re satisfied with your arrangement, glue each button to the fabric using a small amount of hot glue or fabric glue. Be careful to keep the button holes free of glue. You’re going to need the holes to secure the buttons to the fabric in the next step.
5. Remove the cardboard from the pillowcase. With a double strand of embroidery thread, hand-sew every button onto the fabric. For some textural variety, attach buttons by inserting the needle from the top in one hole, then bring the thread back up through the other button hole. Tie the ends in a double knot to secure the button. Clip the thread ends to about 1/4″ long. (Do you think these little knots resemble fireworks?)
6. After the buttons are attached, stuff your flag pillow with a pillow insert. Close the bottom seam by zipping, machine sewing, or hand sewing. Enjoy!
Tip: Learn how to make outdoor throw pillow inserts using plastic grocery bags. (Economically and ecologically conscious!)
DIY Outdoor Pillows for the 4th of July or Memorial Day
Congratulations! You’ve made it to the end of this tutorial on how to make these patriotic outdoor pillows. With pre-made pillow covers, this project is easy to tackle over a weekend.
Just imagine the compliments you’ll get on these little touches of patriotism in your outdoor decor. And, the satisfaction you’ll feel when you can proudly say, “I made these myself!”
So, what are you waiting for? Grab your supplies and get started on these fun and festive pillows for your porch or patio!